Take Rest

Disclaimer: I am not a doctor, medical expert, medical student, or in any way, shape, or form, able to administer advice on your health. I ‘m just sharing what I go through, and hope I'm not the only one. I encourage you to share your stories as well.

Class is in five minutes. I have a paper to write for tomorrow. I have a meeting right before work. Oh yeah, my boss needs me to cover this Saturday, and I told my friend I would come over to talk since her and the boo are going through it once again. Dang, why is my stomach growling? Did I even eat today? Oh yeah, I had a muffin before my class at 9am. I should be good…

Sound familiar? Often, I have been guilty of running around so much, I don't give myself time to think, let alone breathe; not realizing how much stress it placed on my body. I was running on my last beat of energy not understanding how I had become sick, or why I could not keep up on the elliptical like I used to. Then it dawned on me: I need to REST.

Rest is an essential part of your health. Often, we run rapid with the daily demands of life, and forget to feed our bodies with the nutrients that it needs. According to WebMd.com, a teenager needs at least nine hours of sleep and the normal adult needs 7-8 hours. Some can have as few as five, others at least 10. No matter the amount, it is important we listen to when our bodies tell us to chill out.

Many medical experts have also agreed that stress on the body leaves you to susceptible to health risks, including diabetes, cancer, heart disease, high blood pressure, depression, memory problems, an increased perception of pain, and weight gain. In fact, a study with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration revealed sleep deprivation is responsible for an estimated 56,000 motor vehicle accidents and 1,500 deaths each year.

In the Annual Review of Psychology, a study showed “worries about violence or employment keep many African Americans in permanent readiness for ‘fight or flight’. Their bodies are constantly on edge, and their health may be eroded by the strain.” (That’s another topic I will address in another entry since I, myself, am a woman of color, and think this deserves further discussion).

In the meantime, here are a few ways I force myself to rest, even with all the chaos around me. It is not easy to break a habit. Trust me, I know. But I hope this can help:

TURN OFF THE PHONE - I keep this contraption on ALL the time. But one day, I decided to turn it off and I swear it saved my life. I did not have to worry about what I had to do because there was no one to remind me. ☺


SAY “NO”- I always try to be sweet to people, helping in any which way I can, which turned me into “Miss Yes.” However, doing this all the time drove me nuts! Sometimes you just have to let your friends, family and boss know you are unavailable. Trust me, if they are down for you, they will understand.


DO YOU - This is meant to be as broad as possible, but by all means “Do You”. If you have a passion you have been waiting to fulfill, or want to do something as simple as catch up on your favorite show, by all means sit right in front of that TV, and watch it.


LET IT GO - This is also meant to be broad (and I will share my personal stories with you later). However, I have noticed more than a thousand times over how the things people keep on their minds and hearts have led to unnecessary stress, and a lack of sleep. If she broke your heart, he talked about you behind your back, and you found out homegirl turned out to be a hater, dust it all off. It is easier said than done, but let me tell you, it lifts weights the size of elephants!

Okay, I think I wrote enough for now…lol.

But remember you only have one life okay? Be blessed, & Honey make sure you REST...

UrsTrulee,
KareemaBee
Spread Love. Live Life. Be Inspired.
Proud supporter of
The Leukemia and Lymphoma Society
For more info on sleeping strategies, check out www.webmd.com.

1 comments:

  1. H. Kids said...:

    Blog is very interesting and shared a very nutrients and healthful tips for good health. We all should follow them.

Post a Comment

Your thoughts here =)