eyeCare: My Sister's Keeper

My Sister's Keeper is a film adaptation of the novel by Jodi Picoult starring Cameron Diaz and Alec Baldwin, and directed by Nick Cassavetes.

In the film, Anna Fitzgerald (played by Abagail Breslin) was brought into the world to be a genetic match and donor for her older sister, Kate (Sofia Vassilieva), who suffers from acute promyelocytic leukemia. Their lives have been intertwined because of their donor-recipient relationship from the minute Anna was born. Anna suffers, such as losing the chance to become a cheerleader or soccer player in order to be there when her sister needs her, but when she turns 13 Kate goes into renal failure, needing Anna's kidney, Anna sues her parents for medical emancipation and the rights to her own body. Attorney Campbell Alexander (Alec Baldwin) who has a dog named Judge, agrees to work for Anna pro bono.*

As soon as I saw the trailer for the film I knew that I wanted to be see it. I have recently been faced with the reality of having one of my best friends diagnosed with leukemia. I never thought that something like this could actually happen to someone close to me. It's really hard to deal with things like this sometimes, but everyday you have to remind yourself that everything happens for a reason, and that God has a plan for each and every one of us.

Though my friend isn't my blood relative, I can't help but consider her a part of my family. I know that God will pull her and her family through and soon things will be how they were when we would go to the bars, just hang out, or play dress-up together [yes, dress-up in college].


My bestie Dahknee [or Danie lol] brought to my attention this orange ribbon, which of course symbolizes leukemia awareness. Knowledge is one of the best things that you can get out of life, so make yourself aware about the disease. You may not personally have it, but you never know what God may throw at you; whether its through a family member or close friend. The photo below, "Hope, Love, Cure" is for leukemia awareness.


To make a donation to The Leukemia and Lymphoma Society, Fighting Cancer, click here: http://www.leukemia-lymphoma.org/all_page?item_id=8477.
*Retrieved from the Internet Movie Database

l o v e . l i v e . i n s p i r e . = e l l e . e l l e . e y e .

1 comments:

  1. Elle said...:

    This is a great post. The movie seems amazing and as someone recently diagnosed with stage four Lymphoma at an early age, this hits close to home. It's wonderful to know people are getting the word out about this type of cancer and supporting the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society :) Thank you!

Post a Comment

Your thoughts here =)